We are trying a few new Andean tubers this year to see how they fare in
our climate. I placed some in potato bags and others in a raised bed lined with cinder blocks to keep some of the underground critters from feasting on them this fall.



Once again, we haven't managed to clear an area on the hillside above the house to transplant some of our tea. So I did the next best thing and cleared an area just below the road that has a lot of Alder trees providing shade. The 18+-month-old tea plants in poly bags have good root systems and allow a longer tap root to develop. Of course it takes a much deeper hole to transplant them into the ground. So far I only have a portion transplanted, about twenty-eight of them.












We also direct sowed into the ground about 500 seeds towards the end of last summer. Some started sprouting before the cold weather set in but had little time to develop, so we figured we'd probably lose most, if not all, of them. Surprisingly, a few made it through the winter with some bits of green showing and are only "mostly dead". Even more surprisingly, a bunch decided to pop up this spring. I still have a LOT of weeding to uncover them, but so far it seems that roughly twenty percent (20%) have sprouted ... even with the rather mild winter, many more than I expected. And a survival count after the first year or two will likely be an order of magnitude smaller ... sigh.








No comments

Add Comment

Enclosing asterisks marks text as bold (*word*), underscore are made via _word_.
Standard emoticons like :-) and ;-) are converted to images.

To prevent automated Bots from commentspamming, please enter the string you see in the image below in the appropriate input box. Your comment will only be submitted if the strings match. Please ensure that your browser supports and accepts cookies, or your comment cannot be verified correctly.
CAPTCHA